Hi, my name is Wendy Le I’m 20 years old I’m originally from Orange County California but I am currently living in West Virginia. My motto is: “if you’ve always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you always got” my hobbies are makeup & fashion, like who doesn’t love either one?! One thing I passionately love doing is making people laugh! I started making 30 seconds videos on Instagram targeting more of a Vietnamese audience but I also do English short films too and they have attracted so many of my fans! I remember one day so many people started watching my videos and sharing them like crazy and it made me realize how far something so small can take you. No matter how “dumb” you think your ideas are you truly never know where it can take you.
- How long have you lived in West Virginia? I can imagine that there are some huge differences between California and West Virginia, what are some things you would say are the most different? Do you like one better than the other? What brought you or your family east?
I’ve been living in west Virginia for about a 6 months already, & yes it’s a huge difference.
The biggest difference is it’s very …. Boring lol. I’m sorry but I am a west coast girl born and raised and moving to the east coast was a big change! I am glad that I have my brother here. He’s been living here for 3 years and I joined him here to work as a nail technician.
- So you obviously are Vietnamese. Are you full or mixed? If so mixed with what?
So funny everyone thinks I’m mixed I think due to my eyes maybe lol, I’m not sure, but I’m proud to say I’m a full Vietnamese woman.
- I see you are obviously fluent in the language, are you very in touch with other parts of your culture? (P.S. I am viet too, partly. My dad is half. I did not grow up with his side of the family though so I never got to learn the language or culture. I think this is why I felt connected to you when I found you on Insta! I wish I could speak the language like you do!)
Yes ever since I was little I would always have to translate for my mom every where we went due to her not speaking fluent English. As I got older I came to really appreciate that I’m bilingual. I’m so glad you connected with me through my videos! I tend to try not to use too many viet words so everyone can understand.
- Now I have never been to West Virginia however I can imagine that it is very small, and predominantly white. Please correct me if I am wrong. But assuming that it is mostly white have you run into any racist people/situations?
Girl… you’re lucky you haven’t been here! Lol (just kidding). Yes you are correct, it’s predominantly made up of white folks and honestly no matter where you are in life there’s always a racist anywhere you go. Unfortunately yes I’ve met some & had some issues with them and it honestly makes me really sad that we still live in a world that still discriminates against color/race. No matter who you are and what color or race you are EVERYONE matters in this world.
- How did you get into makeup?
Funny story! I actually got into makeup due to the birthmark on my forehead lol I remember in the 5th grade I was so embarrassed having it on my forehead and kids in my class would make fun of me. I would cry asking my mom why she gave birth to me with a ugly birthmark on me. The struggle was real! In 7th grade I started wearing only concealer & powder on my forehead area, and in 8th grade I officially started wearing makeup.
- What are your top 5 favorite products right now?
My 5 top favorite products right now would have to be: Jeffree star’s Skin Frost in •king tut•, LA Girl gel liner, LA Girl pro concealer, Aragon oil, @themakeuphshake mink lashes in *girls night out*
- What are your career ambitions? Comedian? Makeup artist?
My career ambitions right now is just work steady as of right now, I do really want to open my makeup store one day or probably a cool dessert place here in West Virginia.
- Are you attending college?
No I’m not attending college I did at one point in my life and that really didn’t work out for me I guess school isn’t for everyone
- What would be your number one piece of advice for young girls out there who look up to you?
My number one piece of advice “if you’ve always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got” and always be yourself don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself even there isn’t anyone behind you. There’s only one YOU in this world there’s no one else in this world like you. It’s sometimes hard to always have a thick skin I truly do understand words truly hurts people it can cut skin deep. Just know those words don’t define you. Love yourself because I love ya ❤️
- Did you set out on Instagram with the intentions of becoming internet famous?
Honestly when I started doing my short videos I would always delete them because I was scared that people would think “she’s not even funny” but when I uploaded all my skits people really love them and it’s gained me a big follower fan base on Instagram and I’m truly grateful
- How has internet popularity changed your life?
The Internet popularity didn’t realize change my life I’m still the same persons and still get treated the same I just have awesome people recognizing me when I’m out in public I don’t think my supporters realize how much it means to me when they take their time out of their day to tell me they love my videos and I make them laugh because truly that’s all I ever wanted just to be able to make people smile and forget about their troubles for just a second and enjoy a lil laugh with me.